• Dual Credit at Lind-Ritzville High School


    What does Dual Credit mean?

    Dual credit is a credit that counts toward a high school diploma and college or career-type courses. Each program that offers dual credits is a little different and specialized towards certain goals.
    For example, a student may take a course through any of these Dual Credit Programs and earn college credit or credits toward a technical degree while also completing high school graduation requirements.
    Lind-Ritzville High School offers a broad array of options for students who want the challenge of rigorous college course-level learning while they are high school students. There are many benefits of taking dual credit courses. Many students take these courses to get a leg up on their career and college post-secondary goals, while attending high school. Additionally, these courses are often more academically challenging because they are linked to college course syllabi that students are faced with on the college campus.
    • Credit by Passing a College Course: College in the High School, Running Start
    • Credit by Exam: AP Courses
    • Credit by Articulation: CTE Dual Credit, CTE Classes
    How do I know if my student is ready to take these courses?
    The best indicator of your child's readiness is his or her academic maturity.  The students who have the most success in these classes are those who have high levels of success in the subject in previous courses.  Students who miss less than two days of school in a twenty-day period are also successful in these courses.  Lastly, if your child has a habit of doing school work outside the school day, he or she will likely be successful as well.  Lind-Ritzville takes an equitable stance when enrolling students in these courses.  Students who have good attendance, GPA, state test scores, and the willingness to committ to the work load are automatically enrolled in these courses.  If a student is not interested in taking these courses, they may withdraw and take another course. 
    Who pays the college tuition for these courses?
    No families are required to pay for tuition expenses related to dual credit options. Schools do not pay fees, meal cards, books, or housing for Running Start students.
    What is the difference between these options?
    For more detailed information about each option, please use the links in the menu to the left.  Below is a brief explanation of the differences.  Students can blend these options to develop a learning plan that meets their post-secondary needs. 
    College in the High School (CiHS)
    Students take these courses on the Lind-Ritzville campus from our classroom teachers who have been approved by the university to teach the course.  First-year students, Sophomores, Juniors and Seniors who take College in the High School (CHS) courses may receive college and high school credits simultaneously (Per RCW 28A.600.290).  Students must meet established criteria as explained by the classroom teacher.  Tuition is paid for by the State of Washington.  Course titles and grades are recorded on the high school transcript and on the college transcript.  Students need to be aware that not all four-year colleges and universities accept College in the High School credit.  It is recommended that students contact the college or university they are considering to determine if the credit will be accepted. 
    AP Courses
    AP stands for Advanced Placement. The Advanced Placement program involves college-level courses and exams offered at LRHS. Students have the opportunity to earn and receive credit for AP courses when they go to college. The AP courses are designed to add challenging, college-level materials, and expectations to the high school curriculum. These classes provide a greater depth of study and the opportunity to strengthen analytical thinking and reasoning skills. College credit is determined by AP exam scores and college placement. 

    CTE Dual Credit

    CTE Dual Credit allows you to earn dual credit (high school and college credit at the same time) for successfully completing certain Career and Technical Education courses at your high school. High school students have the opportunity to get a jump start on their career by preparing for a college technical degree program at their local high school. They can earn both high school and community/technical college credit for completing select high school courses with a grade of “B” (3.0) or better; a “C” or better for EWU, BBCC, and Spokane Community College courses. Transferability of CTE Dual Credit to other colleges or universities depends on the receiving institution. It is recommended that students contact the college or university they are considering to find out if the credit is accepted.

    Running Start

    Choosing Running Start to earn dual credit is a serious decision that should be well-researched and evaluated as a good fit for your child.  Please be advised – the progress, attendance and grades of a Running Start student are not accessible to the student’s parent/guardian or LRHS counselor and principal until we receive a final transcript from the college.

    The Washington State legislature allows qualified students to take courses at local community/technical colleges during their junior and/or senior year of high school through the Running Start Program per WAC Chapter 392-169.  Students can earn both college credit and high school credit at the same time.  In order to qualify, a student needs to have junior or senior status as determined by Lind-Ritzville High School, and must meet all community college application and eligibility requirements.

    A decision to participate in Running Start is a yearlong commitment due to the differences between the semester system at the high school and the quarter system at the college.  Students have the option to be part-time or full-time Running Start students.