• Policy #3131

    District Attendance Area Transfers

    District Attendance Area Transfers

    Each student in the district is required to attend the school designated for the geographic attendance area in which he or she resides.

    A parent or guardian may request that his or her child be allowed to attend another school in the district. Requests must be submitted, in writing, to the principal of the building at which the student is currently assigned.  Secondary students who request attendance area transfers are subject to the Washington Interscholastic Activities Association’s eligibility rules.

    Transfers may be granted if:

          A.  A financial, educational, safety, or health condition affecting the student would be reasonably improved as a result of the transfer;

          B.  Attendance at another school in the district is more accessible to the parent's place of work or to the location of child care; or

          C.  There is some other special hardship or detrimental condition affecting the student or the student's immediate family which would be alleviated as a result of the

                transfer. Special hardship or detrimental conditions may include a student who moves to a new attendance area in the district during the school year.  The student

                may elect to transfer at the time of the move or at the end of the semester or grading period.

                The principal of the currently-assigned school will consult with the principal of the school to which the student desires to transfer to determine:

                1.  Whether space is available in the grade level or classes at the building in which the student desires to be enrolled;

                 2.  Whether appropriate transportation, educational programs or services are available to improve the student's condition as stated in requesting the transfer; and

                 3.  Whether the student's transfer is likely to create a risk to the health or safety of other students or staff at the new building.

    Transfers must be granted if the student is a child of a full-time certificated or classified school employee unless:

          A.  The student has a history of convictions, violent or disruptive behavior, or gang membership;

          B.  The student has been expelled or suspended from school for more than ten consecutive days; or

          C.  Enrollment of a non-resident child would displace a child who is a resident of the district (the resident child must be permitted to remain enrolled until he or she completes his or her schooling).

    Parents will be informed annually of the district's attendance area transfer option. The district will make available for public inspection the Superintendent of Public Instruction's annual information booklet on enrollment options in the state. This information will also be available on the website of the Superintendent of Public Instruction.

    Legal References:       RCW 28A.225.225                       Enrolling Children of Certificated and Classified School Employees

                                                   28A.225.270                       Intradistrict enrollment options policies

                                                   28A.225.290                       Enrollment options information booklet

                                                   28A.225.300                       Enrollment options information to parents

    Management Resources:

                                        Policy News, June 2003                Enrolling Children of School Employees

    Adoption Date: 05.28.13

    Lind-Ritzville Cooperative Schools