• Policy #2412

    Diplomas for Veterans

    Diplomas for Veterans

    The districts will issue high school diplomas to an honorably discharged member of the armed forces of the United States who was scheduled to graduate from high school, but who left high school before graduation to serve in World War I, the Korean Conflict or the Vietnam era.

    To be eligible for a diploma, the veteran or his or her representative must fill out the application provided by the Washington State Department of Veteran Affairs, provide evidence of eligibility, and have substantial ties to the district.

    Veterans are eligible for the diploma even if they subsequently earned a high school equivalency certificate or are deceased.

    The superintendent will determine those veterans who have substantial ties to the districts. Examples include, but are not limited to: living or having lived in the district, having attended school in the district, having children or other descendents who have attended school in the district, having been employed by the district or volunteering in the district.

    Cross-Reference:        Policy 2410                                   High School Graduation Requirements

    Legal References:       RCW 28A-230-120                      High school diplomas — Issuance — Option to receive final transcripts — Notice

                                         RCW 41.04.005                           “Veteran” defined for certain purposes

    Management Resources:     Policy News, June 2008       Diplomas for Veterans

                                                  Policy News, June 2003       Honoring Veterans of the Korean

                                                  Policy News, April 2002     WWII Veterans May Receive Diplomas

    Adoption Date:

    Lind-Ritzville Cooperative Schools

    Revised: 3/25/2013